Search This Blog


Friday, October 29, 2010

The Chronicles of Biscuit - Just Gettin' It Done

The Chronicles of Biscuit:  Stories about our youngest son, Tyler, whose nickname is Biscuit.

Every week Biscuit brings home a small stack of graded papers from his 2nd grade class.  I look through the papers, see if there are any I should be concerned about, the dispose of them (unless it's something worth saving, of course).  The past few weeks I've seen a few grades that are lower than usual - usually in a reading comprehension-type of paper.  I questioned Biscuit about the lower grades on these papers.  His reply was, "Well, on those, Mom, I like to hurry and get done so that I can work on other stuff."

I admire Biscuit's honesty! However, I told him that he needed to do his best, even if there was something else he was wanted to do (which happens to be the sport's schedules that he would work on for hours if I let him).  I'm waiting to see if my little speech helped or not!

There's a fine line between being too hard on our children and being too easy on them.  I suspect that we're all in the same boat, as parents. We certainly don't want to be too hard on our children and have such high expectations that they feel they can never measure up.  We don't want them to feel like are failures if they don't reach our goals.  However, on the other hand, if we're too easy, and just let them get by with mediocre work, there's a possibility they will loose interest in succeeding in anything and get lazy in everything.

I'm certainly no expert in this area!  Each of our four children are different, with different personalities.  They respond to pressure and conflict in different ways.  They respond to us and to each other in different ways. They are unique individuals, just as your children are.

The one thing that we can all do, though, is teach our children the verse below.  This verse says that whatever we would do, we should work as if we're working for God and for Jesus.  That's an easy way to explain to children about how they should work, how they should respond to their work in school, and in how they should live.

We need to be reminded of this verse from time to time, as well.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover