Search This Blog


Sunday, September 26, 2010

Time Capsules - An Idea for Parents

This weekend was a special time for one of our nieces on my husband's side of the family.  Twenty years ago, on DeeAnn's first birthday, her parents asked all of the relatives to join with them and help create a time capsule for DeeAnn.  DeeAnn's mom, Robin, asked this request from the relatives, noting that the time capsule wouldn't be opened for 20 years....on DeeAnn's 21st birthday. At the time that seemed so far away, but here it was - 2010.

Celebrating a few days early while she was home from college, DeeAnn opened her time capsule on Saturday night.  It was such a sweet and touching time for her, as well as for all who were able to attend the event.  We laughed and cried about all of the special things that were given in the time capsule - from simple to thought-out letters and cards....to pictures and special keepsakes. To see more about DeeAnn's special time capsule, go to my sister-in-law, Robin's blog:  WaWaWaughs - Tales of our life with Teens .

I was a little nervous about what I might have put in the time capsule! Thought it might have been something....ummmmmmm.....goofy!  I would have been 20 years old myself, and my husband and I were newlyweds.  DeeAnn was the first baby niece/nephew born after our marriage so that was really special for us.  After DeeAnn began reading her letter from us, I suddenly remembered writing it!  I remember making the border with a color printer (which was a big deal back then!) and then typing the letter at work.  The letter told an account of where we were the day she was born and then about her first birthday, and then on into what life for her might be right now - at 21 years old.

I wrote a post last week about how we had been to the Oklahoma State Fair since 1984.  DeeAnn was born in 1989 and even though we were living in Kansas at the time, we were actually attending the State Fair that weekend and we were able to go visit her at the hospital and at home the next day.  That was so special and it also made it special that this past weekend our own children were showing their goats at the State Fair.  Because of that we were able to attend the birthday celebration and opening of the time capsule.

I wanted to post about the special time capsule because it is such a good idea for new parents to do for their children.  Maybe you will decide to do something like this for your child(ren) or grandchild(ren).  My sister-in-law, Robin, has given me lots of special ideas such as this one.....and I copy her.  Yes, I do!  And, I'm so thankful for all of the neat ideas she has given me so that I can do them for my own children.

Maybe the first birthday has already come and gone.  Go ahead and make one for them and have a time set to open it.  Any time will be special and with be full of special memories and tiny treasures.  It's never too late to do it, really!

After the party, my family left DeeAnn's celebration in two different vehicles.  My daughter was alone with me.  After we left Lauren said, "Mom, did you make a time capsule for me?"  (See....she knows that a lot of neat ideas come from her Aunt Robin!)  I hesitated a bit.....not wanting to tell her....but, of course. told her the truth.  I told her that I did have one for her, but not to mention it to her three brothers.  I think she's excited, and I'm sure she has no idea where her time capsule container is - stuck up high in a closet!  She'll be opening it in five years.  FIVE SHORT YEARS. (tears)

I believe that this is a special way for parents and grandparents to show their love for their children/grandchildren, but also to share their faith with them.  The special little pieces of advice, encouragement, and faith-building scriptures will be something that the person opening the special gift will cherish forever.

Lo, children are a heritage of the LORD, and the fruit of the womb is His reward. Psalm 127:3

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover