Search This Blog


Monday, September 21, 2015

A "People Meeting" at the Oklahoma State Fair

Sometimes things happen in a way that you just know God orchestrated it.  And even though you can't prove it, you just know it.

Saturday we spent the day at the Oklahoma State Fair. It's a family tradition of 29 years, only skipping one time in the span (for our firstborn's birth).  This year was special because we hadn't seen our college girl in almost a month and she and the college boy were going to be with us for most of that day.  We saw Disney's "Frozen on Ice", which was magical and beautiful!  Those tickets were purchased in January!

After leaving the ice show, our daughter had to leave, my husband went to see the show pigs, but the boys and I got in line to ride the Ferris Wheel.  In front of us were two little girls.  A man and woman stood along with them, but weren't in line for the ride. He and I made small talk during the wait.  He said he had quit smoking after having pneumonia several times and how the doctor told him it was either quit smoking or quit breathing.  After we got further in the line, he and the woman stayed back while the girls stayed right in front of us.  One of the little girls talked to me a little, even asking who I was riding with.  I told her I was riding with my boys, but I almost asked if she wanted me to ride with them. She was scared.  I decided that I should just stay with the boys and those two girls ended up having another young boy with them in their cart.

When we got off the ride, it was time to leave the fair park.  We started towards the gate, but over to the side, we could see that something was wrong.  The man I had talked to in line was on the ground, propping up the woman.  She was having, what appeared to be, a seizure.  I told my husband I was going to help - which he didn't realize that we had been with them for the whole time we were in line.  I asked if he needed anything and he said yes, that he needed help. My husband went for help and I got the two girls and moved them out of the main flow of traffic and out of the way.  I asked the one that I thought was their daughter if she wanted me to hold her. She did.  The other one stood near me. I tried talking to both of them.  The younger girl was scared. It was her mom and she was afraid of what was happening.

I knew the girls had just seen Frozen because we had already talked about that in line.  Two more women walked up with their young girls and they stood so that their view was blocked from what was going on with the women.  It was very scary and to see it, even scarier!  One of those women asked if the two girls wanted their "Olaf" snowman mugs.  That was so sweet of them to give those girls something like that!  The girls ended up laughing a little, but were still scared - especially the daughter of the woman who was having trouble.  She told us that the man was her mom's friend.  They were leaving the park to head home, so this was delaying that trip of about 1 1/2 hours.

The paramedics came. They put the woman on a stretcher. It was pretty obvious she wasn't going to be leaving, but would be going straight to the hospital.  She smiled a few times after the seizure stopped, but was in pain and distress most of the time.  Later the man told my husband she had just gotten out of the hospital the week before, and had been diagnosed with lupus, but she wanted to take her daughter to see "Frozen". It was important to her, even if she might not have been feeling 100% well.

As they took the woman on the golf cart looking ambulance to go to the hospital, the man came and got the girls. He was so thankful that I took them and stayed with them. After the other women and girls had left, I had my boys come talk to the girls a little bit, just to distract them from what was going on.  As they got up to leave to go to the hospital, the young girl that was just a friend began to cry. She was wanting to go home to her family.  The man assured her that he would call and see if they could come get her soon.

The rest of that evening, all I could think about was that family.  Was the woman okay? Did we do enough to help? Was there more we could have done or should have done? Could I go find her at the hospital?  My heart was so sad, even though I knew we had helped, I couldn't get it out of my mind.  I also realized that God was using us that day....that HE had caused that "People Meeting" (will talk about below) and that HE prepared us to be there for that moment.  Things like that get to me.  They make me realize how much He does in our lives ever day, even more.

Sunday morning we worshipped with the Memorial Road Church in Edmond.  The preacher was a professor at Oklahoma Christian, just preaching as a guest. His lesson was entitled, "Reach Out", but had to do with the fact that God sets up "People Meetings" for us all of the time.  These meetings are not change, but prepared for us by GOD, and He wants to use us for a particular reason.  That lesson also seemed to be planned. It was just what I needed to hear.

I am confident that what happened Saturday was a "People Meeting" arranged by God.  I only wish I knew the names of that man and woman. I know the two little girls' names.  I want to find out how that woman is doing.  I need to know she is okay.  I pray for that moment in that day, that man saw the love of Jesus.  I told him I would be praying for him. I wish I had prayed with the girls.  I was going to at one time, but other people came up, so I didn't. I should have.  I've prayed for them and for the woman and man a lot since then, but wish I had then - with them.  That would have showed them the power of God and the love of Jesus even more. That's my biggest regret in the whole thing.

So as you go throughout this week, be aware of the "People Meetings" that God may be arranging just for you.  He has prepared in advance, good works for you to do.  Don't miss those meetings.  Realize that they are from God. Share His love.  Share His Son.  Do what you can.

For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Always so cool when you feel you were used by God in a special way! So glad you took advantage of the moment and acted quickly!

 
Pin It button on image hover