Search This Blog


Thursday, April 10, 2014

Guarded Paths



As some of you know, a week ago today I fell, resulting in a radial head fracture to my right arm. I'm doing well, thankfully didn't have to have a cast, but it will be several weeks before it's healed and can function normally. Ever since then, I'm cautious where I walk. I don't want to trip and fall again. Obstacles are everywhere. Things get in the way.
Wouldn't it be great if we guarded our spiritual lives in this same way? We were cautious of our surroundings, not wanting to fall into sin by previous temptations? Maybe we would guard our feet, our eyes, our mouths, our hands. Maybe we would say no to certain things that have entangled us and tripped us up in the past. Maybe we would watch more carefully where we go or who we hang around.
Just as I was clumsy and didn't have my eyes in where my feet were going, perhaps the sins we commit are made in the same way - clumsily and with our eyes pointed in the wrong direction.
Just some thoughts for you to consider this afternoon. Pay attention to your surroundings. Keep your eyes focused on what matters.
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7
My steps have held to your paths;
    my feet have not stumbled.
I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;
    turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.
Psalm 17:5-6

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

So true! Just the last few years I have tried to be more careful because of the time it takes to recover (longer and longer) :) But I guess it doesn't matter how careful we may be, things can happen - both physically and spiritually.

 
Pin It button on image hover