Search This Blog


Thursday, July 26, 2012

Too.....(Part 1)

Several months ago I was teaching classes for women at a Bible teachers workshop.  An older man, that I've  known since I was in junior high, and I were visiting during a break.  He's a preacher, and recently helped get involved in supporting the children's home where my husband worked.  I was thanking him for all he's done for them, when he said something that has really made me think.  He said, "I wish we could do more, but so many are not interested.  They're too rich.  They don't even realize that there are people who are in need.  They have everything they want."

Boy, that statement is sad, isn't it?!  To think that some people in the world are so into themselves and their little "corner" of the world that they're totally out of touch with the needs around them?  Sadly, I'm sure I've been guilty of that same thing before.  In fact, I'm certain I have!  Sadly, I'm afraid I've not always looked "out" to see the needs around me.  I'm just too........

Too rich.  Too blind.  Too busy.  Too tired.  Too selfish.  Too uninterested.  Too............whatever.  And "whatever" is keeping me - and perhaps you - from doing what the Lord wants me to do....just like the people that preacher was referring to.

TOO RICH
When we have our needs met, and are able to do whatever we need to do to have them met, we may not really realize the needs of those around us.  I remember when our school began a breakfast program.  I didn't like it because my children HAD to take a tray, but I had fed them breakfast at home.  I didn't want them eating lots of sugary/carbohydrate-loaded foods for breakfast.  I was complaining to my sister-in-law who was a teacher.  She said, "Lori, if we don't serve breakfast, many of our students will not eat at lunch.  Not everyone's mom fixes a good breakfast.  Some may not have any food for breakfast at all."  OUCH!  My toes hurt after that!!!  She stepped on them really good!  What a sad thing that I was only thinking of my own children and not the rest of the children in the community.  I was, at that point, too rich.

TOO BLIND
Although we may have perfect 20/20 vision, we may still be blind.  We may fail to see the pain in the lives of others.  We may fail to see that some are grieving, are lonely, are depressed.  We may fail to see problems - even in our own homes.  Sometimes we're too naive to see and sometimes we're just putting blinders on and ignoring problems instead of facing them, but either way, we're neglecting something.  Something very important.  It keeps us from doing God's Will and perhaps the work the Lord has called His people to do.  Too blind.  Open your eyes!!  There is work to do!

TOO BUSY
Oh, what work we could do for God if we weren't so busy!  What time we could spend in prayer and in His Word - if we weren't too busy!  Wait a minute!  Is it possible that you and I are so busy "doing" things - even good things - that we are failing to grow in our relationship with God?  ABSOLUTELY! I'm afraid this is probably my biggest problem, personally.  I find myself soooooo busy doing things - and they may be good and wonderful things - that I am neglecting the "better part" that Jesus talked about in the story of Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42).  Yes, sometimes I'm a Martha.  It's the way my personality is geared.  But, we should NEVER, NEVER allow our personality to become an excuse for sin.  NEVER!  I must learn to tell myself no.....and also learn to say no to others at time.  We must never be too busy for God.  He's never to busy for us!

TOO TIRED
Many years ago in a Wednesday night Bible class, I remember a sweet, young lady saying that she sometimes had a hard time deciding whether or not to go to Bible class.  That seemed so odd to me because in all of my years, that has never been a decision I had to make.  I just went.  That's what I believed I should do.  Not a duty, but an obligation to God and to Jesus - for all they've done for me!  Oh, yes.....sometimes I may have to decide if I should go or not depending on health issues of myself or my children - whether I would be contagious or not.....make it through or not, but never just whether I chose to go or not.  The "famous" verse that goes along with this thought is Hebrews 10:25, but let's look at it in context with surrounding scriptures (I've made verse 25 bigger) :


23Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another —and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.
Hebrews 10:23-27

Sadly, within the next year, that ladies' marriage and family were torn apart.

When we give up meeting together once, maybe that's okay.  The problem is, that that once turns into twice....then three times......then a month, etc.  Before we know it - we've given up meeting together.  It's become a habit.  And we all know that habits are very, very hard to change.  But read the verse again.  See what it says?  By meeting together we are worshipping God, but we are also spurring one another on.  We're encouraging one another.  I have been discouraged by the non-attendance of others - haven't you?  I miss them.  I am concerned for them.  I care for them.  But the important thing about this verse is "and all the more as you see the Day approaching".  What "Day" is that referring to?  The day JESUS RETURNS!  Judgement Day! I can't think of anything I would rather be doing that worshipping the Lord when that DAY comes, can you???!


It's not a choice.  It's a commitment.  It's not a decision.  It's dedication.

I'm going to stop this post for now.  I'll finish it tonight or in the morning with a Part 2.  Sorry about that! I got on a roll :).

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Yes, unfortunately we all are too __________.

 
Pin It button on image hover