Search This Blog


Friday, June 22, 2012

The Chronicles of Biscuit - My Mind

The Chronicles of Biscuit: Stories about our youngest son, Tyler, whose nickname is Biscuit.

A few nights ago, Biscuit asked me if I would lay down with him until he went to sleep.  He said he didn't feel safe in his new room (new since December).  I asked him why and it had to do with some stories fellow classmates had told at the end of school.

We talked about it for a little bit, and I told Tyler whenever he is afraid he should pray - that God doesn't want us to be afraid and that the Bible says "do not fear".  I asked Biscuit if he ever prayed at those times.  His reply was so honest and sweet, "No, mom, but sometimes my mind doesn't think right."  I told him that sometimes mine doesn't either.  I think we could all say that some times.

Why is it that we may know God - or feel that we do.  We may know what His word says.  We may know we should pray - know we should rely on Him, but then at those times when we should be praying and relying, some times we don't?  Why at times is our mind not right?

The first and biggest, and perhaps only reason, is Satan.  Satan - the devil - tells us that we should be afraid.  He says we should be scared - that the world is a scary place and everyone is evil.  Satan says to us that praying isn't going to help - that there is nothing God can do.  He says we're all on our own.

We must learn to tell Satan to "flee"!  We must learn to tell him "no!"  We must learn to get our minds right and get them back to what we know is true - that God CAN help us!  That God CAN help us not be afraid!  That God will do what He says He will do!  But, just like Biscuit, we must first realize that our mind isn't thinking right.  We must come to grips with the fact that we're not relying on God the way we should. That's the first step in getting our minds to where they should be - nearer to God.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 
Isaiah 41:10

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 
James 4:7

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover