Search This Blog


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Chronicles of Biscuit - It's Not My Thing

Stories about our youngest son, Tyler, whose nickname is Biscuit.

A few weeks ago, Biscuit and his siblings were going out to walk their goats....part of the task in getting their goats ready for the spring livestock shows.  I mentioned to Biscuit that he should practice showmanship skills since now he was an "official" 4-H member and showing more for 'real now.  Biscuit's reply kind of shocked me, since he typically wants to be good at whatever he's doing:  "Mom, showing goats isn't really my thing."  Biscuit walked out the door to walk his goats and continued doing so for the next several weeks.  I never said any more about polishing his showmanship skills and just figured Biscuit wasn't interested that particular day.

Last week, the morning of the goat show, I mentioned again how that Biscuit was a 4-H member and that this show was different than the fairs he had shown in before.  Same response:  "Mom, showing isn't really my thing."  So funny that he felt that way about the showmanship part of showing (which can make the goat actually look better and place better) , but was really excited about showing!  This time I just encouraged him to do his best.

Well, right before the show, Biscuit was getting dressed:  jeans, white collared shirt, boots, and his 4-H jacket.  Biscuit, way unlike the rest of our family, is more into the "look" of whatever it is he is doing.  He said, "Mom, this is my 4-H debut in Frederick!"  Frederick is our county seat and where the show was being held.  I had to laugh at his enthusiasm!

Biscuit showed his goats and did a pretty good job, but I'll tell you what: when it got to the actual showmanship part, where the judge is judging the showman more than the goat, Biscuit showed his little heart out!  He kept his eye on the judge - something that he told me he would do during the show if he looked good.  I questioned, "You mean the goat looks good or the judge looks good?"  Biscuit answered, "The judge!"  Not sure what he meant by that, but apparently this judge passed Biscuit's criteria because he watched him the whole time!  Oh, that boys is something else!  He keeps us laughing, for sure!

I've been thinking about Biscuit's response of "It's not really my thing."  I appreciate Biscuit's honesty about showing, but also appreciate that when it got down to it, even though he didn't consider it 'his thing', he still did it and did it well.  No one in the stands would have thought Biscuit thought of showing like that.  (I'm still baffled that he does because he's actually excited about showing goats and being in 4-H.  I think it's just the technical part of it he may not like.)  But, how many of us - adults - do things that 'aren't our thing' with our whole heart anyway?  I'm not sure I always do.

Thank you for the lesson, Biscuit!  I am grateful for you and the constant lessons and reminders you teach us and remind us about in your life - without even meaning to.

Reminds me of this verse:  Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23-24


This post is linked to GRATITUESDAY at Heavenly Homemakers.  Join us for Gratituesday at www.heavenlyhomemakers.com!



No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover