Search This Blog


Friday, November 18, 2011

No Bake Cookies

Of all of the recipes I have made or even created in my life, it's sad to admit that the very popular chocolate/oatmeal no-bake cookies give me the most trouble consistantly!  For many, if not most people, this recipe is the simplest to make of all, yet for me, it's not.  Never!

I don't really like eating the cookies, myself, but because my children do, I make them fairly often.  Also, this year our family is sponsoring two of our high school football players and take treats for them every Friday.  It just so happens that their favorite cookies are also the no-bakes.  My husband joked at the beginning of the football season, that by the end of the season, I might have the no-bakes perfected.  Because of his sweet comment, I elected him as cheif maker of the first week's treat! (Not really - I was out of town and he agreed to making them :)  Well, throughout the months of the football season, I've made the no bakes successfully for the most part.  That was, until yesterday. 

Yesterday's no bakes didn't turn out very well.  I'm not sure why.  As with all of my recipes, I'm usually doubling, tripling or quadrupling the ingredients.  Yesterday's portions were supposed to be tripled.  That way I would have two batches for the football players and another batch for my family.  As soon as I poured them into the containers (I don't scoop them into individual cookies.  I put them in a cookie sheet or pan and cut them - it's faster!), I knew there was something wrong.  They didn't seem to have enough oatmeal, even though I knew I had put the right amount.  I rushed out the door and headed to a ballgame, forgetting about the cookies for a while.

Late last night, I took a small bite of a cookie and could tell that there was too much sugar.  I guess that was the mistake.  My family tasted them this morning.  Some said they were okay and would "pass" as good enough.  My food-critic son agreed:  way too sugary!  So, I quickly went to work making another double batch.  The football boys were leaving this morning at 9:00 for a playoff game far away, so I had to hurry!  When I delivered the cookies, they were still warm.  I sent a plastic knife and fork - and several napkins!  The cookies were perfect this time! (Yay!) 

So......now I have a triple batch of too-sugary no bakes in the kitchen.  What to do???  (Maybe I'll reheat them and try adding more oatmeal?  It's worth a try :). 

There's no devotional thought in this at all.  Just thought I'd share and ask for sympathy :).  No, I suppose this thought could go with the whole 30 days of giving many are involved in this month.  I could have given the two football boys the too sugary cookies.  It's the thought that counts, right?  Yes....maybe so.  But, I want to give the best to others if at all possible, so I wanted to redo the cookies for them.  Giving our best.  That's it!  That's my devotional thought for today :).

Have a great day!  Have a great weekend!  Happy giving!

“Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
“But you ask, ‘How do we rob you?’

“In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.
Malachi 3:8-10

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I'll get my daughter to give you a lesson :)

 
Pin It button on image hover