Search This Blog


Thursday, September 29, 2011

Scared by the Scarecrow

Tuesday afternoon I was in the kitchen making a lot of appetizer-type foods in preparation for our daughter's birthday party that was going to be later on that evening.  It was a pretty day, so I had the front door open and could see out to the front yard from the kitchen counter.

As I worked, I caught a glimpse of someone at the front door.  It kind of startled me because the person was just to the right of the door...more towards the flower bed.  Typically at that angle, I wouldn't be able to see a whole person, but maybe just an arm or a piece of clothing.

Quickly, after being startled, I realized what had actually scared me was a scarecrow!  How goofy is that???!!  I just bought the scarecrow last week and stuck it in the edge of the flower bed with some pumpkins.  I had to laugh at myself for being scared of a scarecrow....a scarecrow bought and put in the flower bed MYSELF not too many days ago!

Sometimes, as Christians, we are scared and our fear is just as silly as me being afraid of my own scarecrow.   I found a great definition of fear that is an acrostic:  False Evidence Appearing Real.  Such a true definition of what fear really is to those in whom it takes residence.  The scarecrow is just a fall decoration for me, but they also have a use....to keep bird and pests out of gardens and fields.  Me being scared of it was absolutely "False Evidence Appearing Real".

What are you afraid of?  Is it something real or is it something not real....something your mind makes real?

Are you afraid to praise and honor God because of what others might think? 
Are you afraid of what others might think if you decide to become a Christian and turn away from a sinful lifestyle?
Are you afraid to put total trust and faith in Him because you think you need total control? 
Are you scared to even think about teaching others about Jesus? 
How about teaching a Bible class? 
How about inviting others to worship?

Now....when you look through that list.....aren't those fears just as silly as my fear of the scarecrow???

God says, "Do not fear because I will strengthen you and help you."

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover