Search This Blog


Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Chronicles of Biscuit - Tinkerbell

The Chronicles of Biscuit - Stories about our youngest son, Tyler, whose nickname is Biscuit.

Last fall, my parents had a new idea for our family Christmas which included them, our family of six, and my sister's family of five. We thought about just having the kids draw names, but with us having four children and my sister and her husband having three, one of mine would have had to buy for a sibling.  We decided against that and kept trying to come up with a new plan.

After much discussion, thinking, and rethinking, it was decided that each family group would buy for one adult male, one adult female, one girl, and one boy, with my parents buying one more boy gift to make it equal the correct number of gifts.  We decided to play "Dirty Santa" to make it a little more fun and interesting.

I decided I would purchase my girl gift with the idea that it would be for one of my sisters' little girls.  Having a 16-year-old daughter and all of the rest boys - I don't have the opportunity to buy "little girl things" often, and I enjoy it!  I looked and looked and never found the perfect thing (well, I found several things, actually, but it was only a $10 limit, so I had to keep looking until I found something for the right amount!).  I finally decided on a plush Tinkerbell doll which was attached to fleece Tinkerbell blanket.  It was a big sized gift, so I bought a big sack, thinking one of the girls (ages 8 and 5) would grab that gift first thing.

Well, to make a long, funny story short and funny:  Biscuit ended up with the Tinkerbell!  Those of you who know him can only imagine his response to this fairy gift!  As a mom, though, I was sooooo proud of him for the way he handled it.  He was upset....that was obvious....but he never cried and never complained:  however, he tried and tried to get one of the girl cousins to trade him!  Neither of the girls wanted to trade. Biscuit gave the gift to his youngest girl cousin, even without a present in return.

Finally it worked out that some of the bigger kids and adults did some trading and Biscuit got a more "boyish" gift.  We laughed and laughed about that day....and still do!  Biscuit laughed a little bit that day, but not too much.  He didn't really like it when we would see Tinkerbell at Disney World and refer to his gift, either.  His daddy and brothers (and grandpa) enjoy ribbing him about it, though!  No, really he doesn't get too upset, but he makes it very clear that he never wants to play that game again at Grandma and Grandpa's house again!  I think Grandma and Grandpa have already decided that same thing.

I was just thinking about how so many times in life things don't go the way we want them to or the way we think they should.  At that moment, we have a choice:  We can either accept it or we can throw a fit.  Biscuit didn't like his Tinkerbell gift and I think everyone would agree he had a "right" to be upset and disappointed.  And, although he tried to trade it, in the end he accepted that things just didn't work out in his favor on that particular day.  Even at the young age of eight, Biscuit set an example by making a good choice - at least that day - and in the end, everything worked out fine.

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover