Search This Blog


Friday, April 30, 2010

Warning Signals

Note:  This post has sound effects, although, if you want to hear them, you will need to go to my blog homepage (http://www.weewaughs.blogspot.com/) to hear them. After reading down a few paragraphs, you'll find the link:  "Click here for sound."  Enjoy!

Today I was driving back home after being in Altus for a little while.  Just before I got to the river, which is several miles out from here, I saw a pickup.  The driver kept flashing his lights as it met car after car - including me.  I know this is the common "there's a cop close by, so slow down" warning signal, but because I always set my cruise right at the speed limit, I never have to be in fear of being stopped for speeding.  (Note:  It's always fun to see those who don't happen to be driving the speed limit when this happens, because automatically they slam on their brakes and their brake lights come on and their car quickly slows down.  It's even funnier to be IN the car with someone when this happens and the slowing down sensation causes all passengers to have to lean forward to counteract the force!)

So, anyway, I drove on about a half-mile and, sure enough, there was a highway patrol car right to the edge of a bridge....out of sight....waiting for the next law breaker.  I looked in my rear view mirror as I passed him (or her) - not expecting for the car to turn on it's siren and lights, but checking - just to be sure. (Passing highway patrolmen kinda makes ya nervous - even when you know you're not doing anything wrong!)

As I drove along, I got to thinking about the warning signal that pickup had given me.  I didn't need it then, but how many times would I like to have a warning signal that went off every time I was tempted to say something wrong?  To do something wrong?  I open my mouth to say something unkind or hurtful - use my sometimes-sharp-tongue - and a warning signal....a light or maybe a siren goes:  FLASH! FLASH! FLASH!  RRRWWWAAAARRRRR! (Click here for sound.)  Wow!  How many times would that have helped me keep my mouth shut or stopped me from doing the wrong thing???  If I could design such a gadget, get a patent on it, market it in the right way, I could be a billionaire.  But, I wonder - would people want a warning signal??  Would they turn it off??  Do I want a warning signal??  Would I use it??

We do have a warning signal.  It's inside of all Christians.  It's the Holy Spirit, who will guide us if we allow it to work in us the way God designed.  Jesus called the Holy Spirit the Counselor.  This Counselor is a gift to us from God, but sometimes, since we don't understand how it works, we don't take advantage of it.  God, Jesus and the Bible can be warning signals for us, as well.

I think of the Holy Spirit as my conscious, but that can't always be right, either, because my conscious may or may not point me in the right direction.  Only God, Jesus, the Bible, and the Holy Spirit can point me in the right direction.  I just have to be willing to heed the warning of that signal.  When I don't listen to that warning, I am going against that truth.

And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. Romans 5:5

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. John 14:26



Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? 1 Corinthians 6:19a....also Acts 2:38

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Ephesians 4:30

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

that would make a funny movie!

Lori said...

Tell Weston - the family filmmaker! :)

 
Pin It button on image hover