Search This Blog


Sunday, October 25, 2009

If the Boot Fits...


Back in mid-September when our family was going to be in Oklahoma City for the State Fair, my husband dropped his boots by a western store for them to be polished and shined. The next day he asked me to stop by and pick them up. I told the "shiner" man my husband's name and he gave me the boots. They were in a boot bag.

Now fast forward to this past Friday, October 23. My husband was getting ready to go somewhere and got out his boots for the first time since getting them polished and shined in mid-September. When he put on the boots, he immediately knew they weren't his. The shoe-shiner had given him back the wrong pair! And, most likely who ever is the owner of these boots, now has my husband's boots.

The shoe shine man was contacted and asked if he knew anything about the boots. But, unfortunately, he hasn't had anyone come back and say they, too, had the wrong pair. My husband's boots were nicer than the ones he now has, and although the color of the boots is similar, the ones he now has are darker and the sole is much thicker.

I was out of town when I first heard this story and I have to admit - rather than have sympathy for my husband's plight, I laughed. I am sorry that he has apparently lost his good pair of boots, but the whole story is really funny to me (and to him, too - though not quite as funny as it is to me!).

There are several lessons to be learned from the lost boots story:

#1: Never assume.
I picked up the boots and assumed they were the right ones. Of course, even if I had seen them out of the bag, I wouldn't have known they were wrong by looking at them. They are similar. However, after getting them, my husband assumed they were the right ones and didn't check to see, until many weeks later.

Making spiritual application it's wise to never assume anything, either. We should never assume that what we are being told or what we read is correct. Take for instance my blog posts - don't just read them and think, "That's really good." or "That's not right." Check it out in God's Word. Read the Bible for yourself to see what it says and to check if what you are being taught is what God's Word says. People are human. They can make mistakes. But, people can also deceive. If you EVER read something I've written and think it is wrong - please tell me! I want to be accountable to you, my readers.

Never assume. Check it out!

"Even as he spoke, many put their faith in him. To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."" John 8:30-33

#2. Don't delay.
My husband really should have checked out his shoe bag sooner. He knows that now. Delaying has now made it impossible (most likely) to fix the problem.

Spiritually speaking, we should never delay, either. Those who have heard about God and Jesus should not delay, but decide to become a Christian as soon as they realize the need.

We should also not delay in confessing sin - to God and to those we have wronged. Seeking forgiveness from God and others is imperative to the Christian. Unforgiven sin seperates us from God and we should act quickly to remedy the situation as soon as we realize the sin is there. We should ask for forgiveness and be willing to give forgiveness to others quickly - without delay.

"As God's fellow workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain. For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation." 2 Corinthians 6:1-2

#3: Get it in writing.
One thing about the shoe-shining man that I noticed is that he didn't have a receipt or anything written down. I wonder if there have been mix-ups before? I'm thinking there probably has been because there is no system of record-keeping.

We can't see God's Book of Life, but we can be confident that our name is written there if we live according to God's Will and do what it says in His Word. (Again, not assuming we are hearing or reading what is true - but reading to in God's Word for ourselves.) Getting it in writing is not something we will actually see in our life right now, but knowing that it is there provides us with the peace, comfort and hope we as Christians want to have.

"He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels." Revelation 3:5

"Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life." Revelation 21:27

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Sorry about the boots, Joe! Great lessons!

 
Pin It button on image hover