Search This Blog


Monday, January 13, 2014

God's Co-workers


As God’s co-workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. For he says,
“In the time of my favor I heard you, 
and in the day of salvation I helped you.”
I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation. 2 Corinthians 6:1-2


As God's co-workers......I like that!  Most of the more modern versions say co-workers. The KJV says, "workers together with him", so it means the same thing.


Paul is saying that God, as our Heavenly Father, has a plan for His children, and that is to help Him bring others to Him.  We are workers together in His Kingdom. We are co-heirs with Christ.   He doesn't need our help. He's perfectly capable of doing what He wants done and needs done without any help from His children, but He wants us to help Him because He knows it will be good for US.  It helps us grow in our faith. It helps us rely on Him. It helps others come to know Him by our encouragement.  


The word, 'favor' here, is not translated properly, but I used this version because of the use of co-workers.  In both places where favor is used, the Greek meaning of the word is accepted or acceptable.  (Check it out yourself on www.blueletterbible.org). The excerpt in parenthesis is from Isaiah 49:8.


This passage is saying to not just accept God's free gift of grace and be on our merry way - living life for our entertainment and pleasure. He's saying (paraphrased), "I've given you this gift, and I've given you a job to do. The time is NOW to get it done! The time won't be forever!"


What kind of co-worker are you for God?  A good one? A bad one? A hard-working laborer? A lazy worker?

God needs you and I to be there very best co-workers for Him that we can possibly be! It's quite possible that He is trying to use you to bring a certain someone to Jesus....a certain someone that only you can reach out to.  He may be waiting for that one person and waiting for you.


I can't help but sing the song, "To the work, to the work, we are servants of God!"  I'd better get to work!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover