Search This Blog


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

That's It?


Written by my husband about our oldest going to college tomorrow.....

A father came into my office and was telling me about how he had just dropped his first child off at college.  He made the statement that you just drop them off and "that's it".  He mentioned how it was an odd feeling.

That statement really haunted me for the next few days. "That's it??"

With our first child leaving in the next few days, it got me to thinking, "Surely that's not it. Surely there's more. After all, this is the child that would take naps on my shoulder, waiting for her mother to get home from her part-time job. This is the child that I taught to drive. And most importantly, this is the daughter I baptized.  And then to say, 'That's it,' ?"

So it got me to thinking... "What can I do?" I am certainly not in favor of being a parent that is always hovering over my child/children.  Children need to make their own decisions and learn to be on their own.  But there is one thing that I can do, and I will do. PRAY!

Our daughter was raised where we prayed together as a family before meals at bedtime and before we start a trip.  Now that she is gone, she can know for sure that in every one of those prayers we will be praying for her by name. Each family member will be praying for her in their own personal prayers, as well.

We will pray for her spiritual welfare. We will pray for her safety. We will pray that Christ will be seen in her. We will pray that she finds a godly husband. We will pray that her classes are going well.  We will pray for her health.  We will pray for her professors, that they might be a good influence on her. We will pray for her roommate.

To all parents I pray this day will come for you.  However, know this it's not easy, and I don't think it should be.  But the pain can be eased when you have instilled in your child Godly values and a strong foundation of faith.

On a personal note, I just want to say,  "Lauren, I love you and am so proud of the woman you have become. And, by the way, I wish I could do it all again."

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

So sweet. Dropping off our kids at college, we had a pretty tearful prayer with them. But I wouldn't have had it any other way.

 
Pin It button on image hover