Search This Blog


Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Giving From the Heart

Today lets look at giving.  Not just any giving, but giving from the heart.  Mother Teresa said, "If you give what you do not need, it isn't giving."  What do you think about that quote?  There is a lot of truth in that statement, isn't there?

I realize that there is the possibility that we can give from the heart and it be something we no longer need.  For example, when I give away clothes my children wore....especially their baby clothes or their special outfits that were for Christmas or family photos, they are sentimental to me.  They tug at my heartstrings as I give them away because it's giving away a piece of the childhood memories I have of my children.

But I see the side of giving that may not be from the heart.  It's a type of giving that is just getting rid of the stuff and passing it on to others. I'm guilty of this type of giving, myself. (Garage sale left-overs that aren't in great condition, etc.) Look at this quote by Sir Henry Taylor, which goes along with this thought:

He who gives what he would as readily throw away, gives without generosity; for the essence of generosity is in self-sacrifice.  (Quoted in the book New Beginnings)

Giving from the heart - true giving as Jesus talked about in the Bible - is giving out of love.

“It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
Jesus, in Acts 20:35

“It is possible to give without loving, but it is impossible to love without giving.”
Richard Braunstein

There is another quote that you may have heard.  "Give until it hurts."  I'm not sure that's what we need to do.  I think we need to give until it feels good! 

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
2 Corinthians 2:6-8

Giving should be something we want to do.  We should want to give to God because of all He has given to us.  We should want to give to others because that is the example Jesus showed us throughout His life.  Giving is showing God's love and sharing Jesus with others.

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
Luke 6:38



1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Reminds me of Matthew West's new song "In my own little world" where he says "I put a 20 in the plate but I never give till it hurts." Lot of truth there!

 
Pin It button on image hover