Search This Blog


Tuesday, February 16, 2016

"I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE!" (#2)

Ever since I heard the news Sunday night that three teens in our area had passed away as the result of an automobile accident, I've had the same thought running through my mind:  "I don't want to be here!"  This is what I said over and over as we sat at the funeral home in 2001, planning the funeral for our little boy who was stillborn.  "I don't want to be here!"  And they don't want to be there, either.

None of the families that are having to plan funerals for their teenage sons want to be where they are right now.  None of them want to be in this situation and would give anything to have just one more hug, one more day, one more....anything.  It's a horrible thing they are going through, yet there they are - doing what no parent wants to do.

My heart aches for them.  Many hearts do, whether they know the families or not.  And those who do know them ache even worse.

Sunday morning I was out of town visiting our two college kids, along with the next oldest child.  The sermon that morning had to do with how to help the grieving. It was a wonderful lesson with many great thoughts and lessons from God's Word, but one particular point made me think:  "Helping Begins With Hearing."  We can all pray for the grieving families and that helps them tremendously, but the only way to physically help those grieving families is to hear them.  At this point in their grieving, nothing you can say to them can help them, though there are many things you can say to them that can hurt them.  They need prayers.  They need hugs.  They need a shoulder to cry on.  But they don't need your words of wisdom.  They need you to listen, if they need to talk.  HELPING BEGINS WITH HEARING.  That's a powerful statement.

"I don't want to be here!"  Hear that.  You don't have to say anything in response to that statement.  Just listen.

 “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” Psalm 18:2

“Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4

 “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18

1 comment:

Amy said...

Such great advice. Perfect. Thank you for your thoughts.

 
Pin It button on image hover