Search This Blog


Friday, January 8, 2016

Gifts and Kindness

Homemade Christmas gifts are a tradition on my husband's side of the family.  This year our get-together was quickly planned, so I did something really quick and easy.  I made room fresheners and Thieves Cleaner (using Young Living Essential Oils) from recipes I found at mamanatural.com.  I also added a other oils to make some new scents. I found the bottles on Amazon from a store called Everything4Oils.  The amber glass spray bottles can be used for many things.

Another homemade gift was a little ramekin filled with coffee beans and a tealight candle.  When you burned the candle, the heat made the coffee beans' aroma fill the air.

My mother-in-law gave us homemade apricot jelly (my husband's favorite) and plum jelly (my favorite, plus a bag of pecans.

Another sister-in-law made cute shadowbox frames that had scrapbook paper backgrounds, foam/glittered balls in them with a wintery saying.  I can't remember what mine said at the moment and I packed it away yesterday, but the sticker letters were on the outside.  It was so cute!  Another one she did had jingle bells in it and the letters said "Jingle all the way".  Very cute idea!

Speaking of gifts, gifts show kindness.  It's customary to give gifts at Christmas, for birthdays, and other holidays and occasions, but some are just random.  I love the idea of random acts of kindness, don't you?  It doesn't have to be a special time to be kind.  Being kind can happen any day of the year.  That's what makes them special.

Last night our family (all six of us) and one of our nieces were headed to a basketball game. We left early so that we could eat Mexican food at one of our favorite places - a special request by our oldest son who wanted to eat there before he heads back to college Saturday.  When the time came to leave, my husband asked for the check.  The waitress said that our meal had already been paid for!  It was such a surprise to us because we honestly had no idea who might have paid for it!  A special act of kindness done randomly (or perhaps not randomly for the nice person who did it, but for us it was very random.).

Be kind to someone today.  Find a way to give of yourself to others.  It doesn't have to be huge - like paying for seven meals at a restaurant.  It can be something small.  Just take the time to do something for someone.  You'll be glad that you did.

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

It's pretty cool when you get surprised like that!

 
Pin It button on image hover