Search This Blog


Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Courage

Courage...."The ability to do something that frightens one."
What frightens you?
When our oldest three children were small and my husband was gone a lot, I would often have to come home in the dark with the kids.  I was afraid of the dark because of something that happened when I was in 7th grade: We had a peeping "tom" looking in our window after a Junior class party at our house out in the country.  I saw the person and was pretty much scared of the dark after that night.
 But I noticed something when my kids were small.  I was much braver when those little kids were with me than I was if I would have been all alone!  Why? Because I was protecting them.  I wasn't worried about my own fear, but in teaching them to have courage and not be afraid.
 Throughout the years, when the kids have been scared (our youngest is terrified of storms, which is odd because I like storms and my husband doesn't care either way), I've tried to teach them to pray fervently about that fear.  I love the picture up above with the scripture.  God will be with you wherever you go.  Why do we have to fear, then, if our Heavenly Father is right there with us?
 The answer?  We don't! We shouldn't! We don't have to live our lives that way! We CAN have courage to do what we're scared to do.
 Fear keeps people from doing so many things.  I've decided that I'm not going to let fear keep me from doing anything - especially things that are things my family would do....which is why I rode "Tower of Terror" at Walt Disney World this past Christmas!! I wasn't really scared of it, but the first time I rode it, I was hot and just didn't like it.  But my family didn't want me to be alone waiting on them, so I went.  And, guess what?  It wasn't so bad!  Then I went again, and that time it was the best time I've had on there! (It has lots of settings so not every "ride" is the same degree of intensity.")
What if I hd never tried it again?  What if that "fear" had kept me from ever wanting to give it one more try?  I would have missed out!

And a ride at WDW isn't important.  There are lots more important things that fear keeps us from doing.  Maybe we're afraid of being involved with the Lord's church. Maybe we're afraid of telling others about Jesus. Maybe we're afraid of inviting someone to worship with us on Sundays.  Maybe we're afraid to go visit the sick.  FEAR.  It stops us from doing what we should do.

Have courage, my friend!  God is with you - wherever you go!  He will walk with you. He will guide you.  Will things happen some time?  Yes, they will.  But even in those times, God is STILL THERE with YOU.  Have courage.

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

I used to be so afraid and hear weird noises at night and I've mostly outgrown that. But occasionally it happens and I pray a lot when that happens. It's good to remember that he is our Protector!

 
Pin It button on image hover