Search This Blog


Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Squeaky Clean....A Teachable Moment

The other day I was cleaning the house. As is typical with me, I started cleaning in one room, but then would go to another room and get sidetracked and start cleaning in that room. This cycle went on and on (ugh!), but I did manage to get quite a bit done by the time the kids got home from school.

Later on, our 14-year-old daughter came into our room and walked into our bathroom and said, "Wow, Mom, the bathroom smells really clean!". I told her it smelled clean, but it wasn't actually all clean. I explained to her that although I had started the cleaning process, I hadn't finished it (yet). Her statement made me think and I told her that what we had just discussed would make a good lesson. She said, "Yeah, like sin in our lives."

Just like an unclean bathroom can smell clean, our lives can look clean on the outside, yet sin can be dwelling within us. Sin is sometimes appealing. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be tempted to sin, would we? Sometimes sinful things look good, smell good, feel good...at first. But then the dirtiness, uncleanness becomes apparent in our lives. That's just what Satan wants.

Jesus' blood will wash that dirtiness away and make our lives squeaky clean. Psalm 51:10 says, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."

Thank you, God, for teachable moments with my daughter!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover