Search This Blog


Monday, April 19, 2010

She Hurt My Feelings

Lauren hurt my feelings today. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  After all, I did compliment her and tell her she played a good game (softball).  Yep.  That's right! 

I told her she played a good game and she got mad at me.  She said she didn't play a good game....that she got out every time she hit. And she's right.  She DID get out each time, but she HIT every time and it wasn't a pop-fly like she kept doing last week.  Both hits today were grounders (which I've recently learned means they stay low to the dirt/grass and not go up in the air).  This was an accomplishment (in my opinion) because it was something that last week she said she never could do.

The worst part about it is this:  I asked Lauren why she doesn't get mad at her dad and you know what she said?  She said, "Dad would never say something like that to me!"  And that's my crime as a mom.  I said something my husband would never say to her.

Is Lauren meaning that my husband - her dad - would never compliment her hitting the ball (the grounder) as she's been wanting to???  Oh, that makes perfect sense to me, doesn't it to you?????!!

Tomorrow Lauren has an FFA speech competition.  Last week she won 1st place, so tomorrow she is able to compete in the district competition.  I'm wondering...what I should say?  If I compliment her, she might get mad.  If I don't compliment her, I'm thinking she'll not be happy about that, either.  I'll just wait and see....decide later on, depending on the outcome. I'll just play it safe.  I don't want to commit any more "mom" crimes.  Don't you think that's a good idea??  Better yet - I'll just let my husband do the talking!

Teenagers are funny and fun - all at the same time. Well, most all of the time!  They're going to get "mad" and "angry" some times - even for seemingly strange reasons.  Girls especially, it seems.  They have hormonal issues that are much different than boys.  My boys (so far) aren't tempermental.  They don't get upset about things that don't make sense.  Even "Biscuit", the youngest, usually has a legitimate reason for his "ire". 

Even though Lauren's attitude today did hurt my feelings a little bit, I know she wasn't actually mad at me.  She was disappointed in getting "out" two times during the game.  She couldn't see the success of  hitting the ball like I could.  But, it's okay. I shouldn't take it personal.  I know she loves me.  She told me so later.  And I love her - tempermental moodiness, and all!  I have those days myself some time.  If this is the worst problem we have - an occassional "mood", I count us as very blessed as parents of a teenage girl!

I'm grateful for the blessing of a teenage daughter.

We've always laughed and said that God only gave us one girl (out of four children) because he knew that's all the patience we had between the two of us.  I'm thinking it He knew EXACTLY what we needed and what we could handle. 

Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
1 Corinthians 10:13

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing this. My 11 year old boy has reacted the same way towards me, he's a perfectionist... I continue to point out his strengths and have tried to teach him how to accept a compliment. It makes me sad to see him focusing on the negative :( I think in the long run it is better to say something... I can remember my own mom pointing out my positive attributes. I believe it is better than not saying anything at all.

Love reading your blog! It's encouraging to hear from experienced Christian moms.

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Yes, if this is the worst problem you have...you are blessed!

Lori said...

Michelle - I agree that it's best to say something. When I see your family, with the oldest a boy and soon to be two younger sisters, I think of my sister whose family is the same. I really liked the story of your daughter's birth and looking forward to hearing about the next birth! Babies are such a blessing.
Thanks for stopping by!
Lori
Robin - I'm praying that it stays that way!

 
Pin It button on image hover