Search This Blog


Sunday, October 11, 2009

Seasonal Affective Disorder


I've heard of seasonal disorders.  Actually I thought it was Seasonal "Distress" Disorder, but I guess not. Here's the definition for the disorder: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a form of depression that occurs in relation to the seasons, most commonly beginning in winter.  It's kind of interesting to me that the initials spell SAD, because the disorder seems to make people sad.  People with SAD become "sad" because they can't see the sun.  We all need the sun to get adequate amounts of vitamin D.  In fact, we couldn't survive without the sun.

This disorder came to mind because it's been many days since we've seen the sun here in southwest Oklahoma.  I believe on Friday the sky was brighter but still the sun wasn't actually seen.  We have had a lot of rain, which is always needed and for that, I'm extremely thankful.  I can usually tell when my children are ready to see the sun (it was a few days ago, in case you're wondering!).  My husband is in Nashville/Franklin, Tennessee, so he's missed out on the no-sun days.  Even though he misses being with his family, I'm pretty sure he's glad he missed out on the gloomy days!  I kind of like the kind of days we've been having, but even I get to missing the sun after a while.

We, as humans, miss the SUN after a few days, but what about THE SON? God's Son Jesus?  Do we "miss" Jesus if we are away from Him for a day or do the days go on and on before we realize He's not been in our life? Just as we could not survive very long without the sun, we can't survive without the SON (Jesus).  But, with Him in our lives, we will be able to live with He and God in Heaven for eternity! 

 No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
1 John 2:23

Thank you, God, for the sun and your Son...both are gifts to us from You.

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover